Dating agencies south west england
The work may well have been carried out for Thomas Parker, a lawyer, between 16. 38) The largest timber-framed building was probably the Hall House, later the Red Lion inn, on the east side of the market place. By the late 17th century, on the evidence of Greystones in Stockwell Street, a symmetrical stone front was fashionable, although the windows there still have stone mullions. It was known as the Angel in 1781 and as the Swan in 1786. 49) The Roebuck in Derby Street is dated 1626, although the earliest known mention of an inn of that name is in 1773. 50) The Cock on the corner of the market place and Stockwell Street existed by 1666 and was sold by the Mellor family to John Toft of Haregate, in Tittesworth, in 1728. 51) In 1740 it had 18 rooms with one or more beds in them. 52) It was converted into a bank in the earlier 1820s, but a new Cock inn was opened nearby. 53) There was a Red Lion by 1698; its site is not known, but the Hall House in the market place had been turned into an inn of that name by 1751. 54) There was settlement on the west side of the town by the earlier 17th century, probably as a result of the piecemeal inclosure of Leek field, in progress by the end of the 16th century.It was built, apparently in 1607, by Thomas Jolliffe, who like earlier members of his family had prospered in the wool trade. 39) The ornamental framing of the Roebuck inn of 1626 in Derby Street (fn. The streets around the market place can be traced by name from the 17th century only, those on the west side probably being encroachments. Barngates and Beggars Way (presumably the later Beggars Lane) were inhabited areas by 1638, (fn. 1670 a few houses were built in Back of the Street (later Belle Vue Road) on the north-west side of the field. 56) Barnfields farm east of the Newcastle road evidently existed by 1675. 57) East of the Cheddleton road Ballington Grange Farm existed as Cowhay Farm by 1608. 58) The main part of the nearby Home Farm (formerly Bone Farm) carries the date 1628, although the cross wing is probably a little earlier.35) and the spring is now called as Lady o' th' Dale well. Within living memory the water was used by local people for healing purposes, and there was also a May Day procession to the site by children from St. At the beginning of the 17th century the town was noted for its market, which in the 1670s was one of the three most important in Staffordshire.On the other hand the buildings were then 'but poor and for the most part thatched'. 37) It is likely that all or most of the surviving timber-framed buildings are of the 16th or 17th century, although later encased in stone or brick. 2–4 Clerk Bank and the Black Swan inn in Sheepmarket contain cruck frames. 2–4 Church Street on the north side of the market place incorporate the remains of a 16th-century timber-framed building, whose front was probably jettied. 45) Stanley Street was formerly Custard Street, a name which may have been derived from costard, a large kind of apple; it too was renamed in 1866. 46) East of the market place Stockwell Street (also known as Stockwood Street in the 1690s) and Derby Street were so named by the 1630s. 47) There were no streets in the area between them until the 19th century.Cock Low, recorded as 'Catteslowe' in the later 16th century and as Cock Lowe or Great Lowe in 1723, (fn. high, an excavation uncovered a flint implement and fragments of an urn and of human bone. Standing at the junction of several roads, the town was a commercial centre by the 13th century.16) stood south- west of the town between Waterloo Road and Spring Gardens. The mound was destroyed in 1907 in the course of the development of the area, but an urn containing a cremation burial of the early or middle Bronze Age was discovered and also a heart-shaped carved stone. 17) In 1859 workmen digging in Birchall meadows west of the Cheddleton road broke into a mound where a cinerary urn was discovered. 18) A Roman road ran through the Leek area, and coins forming part of a hoard found 2 miles south of the town in the earlier 1770s were said to bear the inscription of the Gallic emperor Victorinus (269–71). In 1207 the king confirmed to Earl Ranulph a weekly market and an annual seven-day fair, and the earl established a borough probably about the same time.
The detached portions at Poolend and Blackshaw Moor were added to the civil parishes of Leekfrith and Tittesworth respectively, and the detached portion by the Churnet became part of the urban district.The detached portion at Poolend is treated in the article on Leekfrith, and that at Blackshaw Moor in the article on Tittesworth. (152 m.) in the flat valley bottoms of the Churnet and Leek brook to 800 ft. The plateau is linked to the higher ground on the east by a broad col from which the ground rises to the small hill occupied by the medieval town. Edward's church stands at the highest point, 649 ft.The boundary of Leek and Lowe township was formed by various watercourses except on the north-east: the Churnet on the north-west and west, Leek brook on the south, Kniveden brook, so named by the early 13th century, (fn. (198 m.), with a steep slope on the north down to Ball Haye brook.The Newcastle road, which crosses the Churnet at Wall bridge, was presumably the medieval Wall Street, where there was a burgage in the 13th century and where several people were living in the 1330s. 25) There may have been settlement at Woodcroft on the west side of the Newcastle road by the early 13th century, when there was mention of three bondmen at Wildecroft in the earl of Chester's fee of Leek. 26) Moorhouse south-east of the medieval town may have been an occupied site by the 13th century. 27) By 1503 the house had passed by marriage from the Bailey family to John Jodrell of Yeardsley, in Taxall (Ches.), and it was still the home of the Jodrell family in 1700. 32) having bought it in 1562, the family remained there until the 1840s when they moved to the nearby Dee Bank Farm. 33) At the Dissolution Dieulacres had a farm called Sheephouse on the Cheddleton road near the southern boundary. 34) The spring south of the town to the east of the Cheddleton road was evidently named in honour of Our Lady in the Middle Ages.Probably soon afterwards it passed to the Grosvenor family, which owned the 65-a. The area was known as Lady Wall Dale in the late 16th century, (fn. 36) Dieulacres abbey was dissolved in 1538, and the town's borough status seems to have been lost after the grant of most of the abbey's property, including Leek manor, to Sir Ralph Bagnall in 1552.